Saturday, February 7, 2015

A Nerd a Word a Twerp and some Syrup

I was somewhat thankful the other day when one of the kids who climbs on my bus motioned backwards.  He said that the kid behind him had called him a twerp.  I had not herd this term for many years.  But somehow I was glad at my age that it had survived.

When you are driving a school bus one of the things that you learn is that over the years not all that much has changed.  When you listen to all things that are going on you hear some interesting words. Perhaps for me one of the most interesting things is the fact that middle school kids have adopted some of the same words that I have always known,.  The words twerp, prick,  dubie and more are ones that I had not heard for a while.  I spent some time thinking about what may be the difference between a nerd and a twerp a prick and a dubie.

A twerp I think is someone who is just sort of agitating. Perhaps a nerd is someone who deals in sort of the Star Wars world.  A land of zeros and ones, a land of not understanding how parents can not get the idea of files, x-box, computer games, domains, passwords and all the other stuff that goes with this.  I have never understood the word prick all that well. It somehow has within its pronunciation an  idea.  I think at one time it was meant to symbolize  a  male organ but over the years it has just learned to stand alone.  When it is spoken everyone just sort of knows what it means

Anyway, when you are driving a bus all of these terms hit your ears at a certain point. I have sort of been glad the word  twerp has survived. It is sort of something from my generation which I think yet today fills a exacting description of some human behavior.

I had a kid crawl on the buss the other day.  Very well behaved and very nice.  He had been in a controversy with some other kid. Not sure the makings but some somehow whatever interactions had resulted in a fight.  I asked this kid why he had chosen to have variance with this person and he answered me very quickly.  He said in no short terms, (and for this I want to  tell you the summation is the combination of a donkey and something a well digger might dig.} In case if I have young readers let me forever refer to this as   **********. 

Later that day I pulled up behind a car.  This dude had a bumper sticker.  On the top I could see it said "Jesus Loves You."  When he pulled a little forward I could see the  words," Everyone Else Thinks you are an ***********."   I somehow thought about these words. Not sure why but I might guess that somehow they hold a prophetic message for most of us. Not for all perhaps but sometimes for me the bumper sticker fits. It somehow is in the syrup.  Not sure all that deserved but somehow still a little interesting.

Anyway,  the thngs you hear on the bus represent the crossstich of life.  The wipers on the bus bring sometimes some clarity to where you are going. The mirrors have some impact and feeling on where you have been. And in the ears you might have to hear some memories of the terms and recalls of a life that exist within all of our memory. A twerp, a nerd, a word and some syrup. Held within the sticky nature of the syrup are the words that will probably last for a while yet.  I am sort of glad they have survived.  Part of the world as I see it through the wipers on the bus.

Your Friend,

StM


No comments :

Post a Comment