Monday, February 2, 2015

Lazy and Crazy

I am not sure why but somehow Michigan Winters can make you a little lazy.  I was thinking though that somehow this winter is making me a little crazy. I am not sure how or why I started to think about this but right during the super bowl the automated thing on my phone told me that they had cancelled school today and so I have nothing to do but write a few words. Here they are:

One of the things that happens on the route I drive is a certain point where I have a drive to the east  about 5 miles.  I have been noticing that on the stops I have that the sun becomes more prominent a little earlier each day and so I started to wonder about  about a  few things.  On these school buses if you mash a little on peddle they register around 45 MPH.   Somehow I wondered one day how fast I was really going.  I figured it this way. I figured that this planet we live on must be rotating to the east.  Somehow when the sun appears at different times it must be true that that the earth is revolving at a certain rate. That night I did a little work on this and found that if I was driving this bus on the equator the speed of rotation would be near 1000 MPH.  If on the 45th parallel around 500 MPH and if on the top of north or south pole just a gentle turn everyday day of 0 MPH. All this would do is make you dizzy and perhaps a little frozen if you were on the north or south pole. 

But then I thought about something else.  I figured that the earth must be rotating around the sun and it does so every year. With the distances involved  around the the Sun you have to travel  very near 66,000 miles per hour to accomplish one rotation per year. On an even greater scale the Sun holds the planets in its orbit and the sun rotates around the Milky Way every 250 thousand years and to do so it needs to travel at 23 million miles per hour.

I am not sure what to do with all of this.  I figured that as long as I was driving to the east I could at least subtract the 45 MPH that I was driving. I stopped by the bus yard the other day.  A cop was outside.  He was watching his radar screen.  He kind of looked like one of these guys who when he was a child someone stole all of his toys.  He invited me to sit in his front seat.  An alarm went off and his radar told him that a car was traveling 60 in a 40.    When I got done explaining all this to him he decided to let the guy go. 

Just food for thought, a little crazy and perhaps a little lazy,  and perhaps a little note on how fast we are going. My thought here is that slowing down might be a good idea.  My other thought is that God is a pretty big guy.  Somehow he holds the world in his hand and He does not make us all the scared to be going 23 million miles per hour minus the 45 of the school bus.

StM



2 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan,

      You sure have a lot going on in that brain of yours! Thanks for sharing. One point of information correction for you however. Regarding facts about our sun making a full rotation around the Milkyway galaxy. It takes our sun close to 250 million years to do this. At a speed of 500,000 thousand miles/per/hour. (around 140 miles/second). Still mind boggling! :-)

      Delete